David,

    In regard to my point that "non-existence" itself (not our mind's
conception of non-existence) is actually an existent state, you
suggest that

equating the "existence" of some state with the "absence" of all
existent states is a direct contradiction.

But, it's only a contradiction if what we've traditionally called non-
existence really is a non-existing state.  What I'm suggesting is that
when we get rid of all the states we've traditionally thought of as
existing (matter, energy, space, time, volume, ideas/concepts,
mathematical constructs, minds/perception, etc.), we've always thought
of what's left as not existing, or non-existence.   But, what I'm
saying is that we really haven't yet gotten rid of all existent
states.  What's left is also an existent state, just not one of the
traditional ones.  It's an existent state because it completely
describes or defines the entirety of what is there.   Another way of
saying all this is that "non-existence" is an incorrect term; it's a
misnomer.  We've always referred to this thing, "non-existence", as
not existing because that's the only we and our existent minds can
think of it, as the lack of existence.  But, this "non-existence"
itself, not our mind's conception of it, doesn't have this constraint
of being defined in terms of the lack of the traditional existing
states.  It's on its own, and on its own, completely describes the
entirety of what is there and is thus an existent state.

    What this all leads me to is that there really is no such thing as
a true non-existing state.  Even what we've traditionally called "non-
existence" and thought of as  a non-existing state is, when thought of
as described above, really just another existing state.  This means
that the question of "Why is there something rather than nothing?" is
an incorrect way of stating things.  What we've always called
"nothing" isn't really no-thing or a non-existing state; it also is an
existent state, or "something".   So, "something" has always been
here, which is what I concluded in the paper at my website.   All of
this may seem like an exercise in futility as you mentioned, but why I
think it's valuable is that:

- It forces us to think about why a thing exists in the first place.
That is, what is the mechanism or reason for why a thing exists?  What
I came up with, as described in that paper is that a thing exists if
what is contained within or meant by that thing is completely
defined.  This complete definition is like an edge or boundary
defining what is contained within and giving "substance" or existence
to the thing.  This is more fully explored in that paper.

- It provides a way, as described in the paper at the website, to
start building a model of the universe that is similar to ours and
that contains a symmetry-asymmetry transition (symmetry-breaking), a
big bang-like creation and expansion of space and a mechanical,
natural reason for why there is energy in the universe.

    My view of philosophy is not so much to argue endlessly about
these things but to try and use as few assumptions as possible along
with consistent reasoning to come up with some framework and use it to
build a realistic model of things and to try and make predictions with
that model.  This lets philosophy transition into science.

    Thanks again for the feedback!

Roger