On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 5:34 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 9/4/2011 3:08 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 3:06 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  On 9/4/2011 12:13 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 1:42 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>> Evgenii,
>>>
>>> The kind of atheism and materialism which stood as the official religion
>>> of the Soviet Union, and that held by most atheists today is naive.  The
>>> leading scientific explanations for conscious are mechanistic, but taken to
>>> its logical end mechanism leads to remarkable conclusions: consciousness is
>>> not attached to the body, it survives death of the body, it continues
>>> forever, it may be reincarnated into different forms, it may switch between
>>> realms.  In this respect, science leads directly to something very much like
>>> a soul.
>>>

>>>  Only by taking partial theories and over extending them.
>>>

>> If you accept the first few steps of the UDA regarding duplication /
>> survivability with clones (digital mechanism), and you accept any of the
>> following: 1. the universe is infinitely big, 2. many worlds interpretation,
>> 3. string theory landscape, 4. ultimate ensemble or 5. mathematical realism,
>> then it can be clearly demonstrated.  I think the only reason you call it
>> "over extended" is that you are uncomfortable with the conclusion.
>>

>>  If by "accept" you mean "believe", I don't accept 2, 3,4, and 5.  I
>> consider 1 to be an inference from some theories, but I don't necessarily
>> accept those theories.  When you make a long chain of inferences and arrive
>> at a conclusion contrary to experience that is called a reductio ad
>> absurdum.  Then it is time to review your bets.
>>

> If you accept (believe) the universe is infinitely big then there are other
> locations in the universe which have an identical configuration to you in
> this moment,
>

> That doesn't follow.  For example there could be infinite repetitions of a
> some other, quite different subset of this universe.  The universe would
> then be infinite while this part is unique.

The variations in the cosmos were determined by quantum fluctuations which
would seem to lead to a randomized distribution of configurations.

>  the whole earth in this moment, the solar system, the local group, the
> observable universe.  Just as any finite sequence of digits can be found in
> the digits of Pi.
>

> But not in 1/3.  Yet the decimal expansion of 1/3 is infinite.

Since the distribution of matter is determined by quantum fluctuations, I
doubt it forms any simplistic repeating pattern like .3333...

>  Then if you accept that you could be reassembled (and saved from death)
> by the appropriate arrangement of atoms (regardless of whether they were the
> original or an entirely new set of atoms) then you can see how your
> consciousness will survive your death in this universe.
>

> I can see how it could be possible (and I thought of that when I was 16)
> but I don't believe everything that is possible happens nor do I see any way
> to test such a vague hypothesis.
>

>>> Similarly, the materialist effort to explain the existence of this
>>> universe without invoking God ends up pointing to the existence of something
>>> that has no cause, exists timelessly, contains infinite variation (perhaps
>>> everything possible), may be identical to the sum of all truth, is
>>> everywhere and everything.  While not every scientist or person on this list
>>> agrees with this, it is the conclusion of any rational effort to explain the
>>> fine tuning of this universe.
>>>

>>>  I don't think any scientists agrees with all of that.
>>>

>> 1. Something exists without a cause (Any Platonist believes this.  Also,
>> it is inconsistent to believe that nothing exists without cause, unless you
>> believe something can come from nothing)
>>

>>  Most current theories of cosmogony say something like that.
>>

> Not out of nothing, but out of the
> vacuum<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_state>,
> which is something.
>

> Is it? Can you have less than a vacuum?  Isn't it as 'nothing' as can be.

The vacuum warps in response to gravity, it has a relative position in the
universe, it is a medium which enables particles to exist and spontaneously
form, it has energy and mass, expands, etc.  It is hardly an absolute
nothing.

> Maybe the philosopher/logician's "nothing"; the thing that has no
> properties is incoherent, an illegitimate abstraction from the absence of
> something to the absence of everything.
>

>> According to present-day understanding of what is called the vacuum state
>>> or the quantum vacuum, it is "by no means a simple empty
>>> space",[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_state#cite_note-Lambrecht-0>and
>>>  again: "it is a mistake to think of any physical vacuum as some
>>> absolutely empty
>>> void."[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_state#cite_note-Ray-1>According
>>>  to quantum mechanics, the vacuum state is not truly empty but
>>> instead contains fleeting electromagnetic waves and particles that pop into
>>> and out of existence.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_state#cite_note-2>
>>>

>>   2. Exists timelessly (Again, every platonist accepts mathematical truth
>> exists timelessly)
>>

>>  That is a peculiarly mathematical meaning of "exists".
>>

> Are there really different ways in which something can exist?  The way I
> see it, either something exists or it does not.
>

> Me to.  But to a mathematician, "exists" means a variable takes a value
> that satisfies a proposition.
>

>>  3. Contains infinite variation, perhaps everything possible
>> (Mathematical truth is infinite in scope, and math contains all possible
>> structures, again according to the platonist philosophy of mathematics
>> (which is the most popular))
>>

>>  Which cardinality of infinite?  All of them?
>>

> I don't know.
>

>>   4. Is everywhere and everything (This follows from digital mechanism
>> and platonism.  Most today are unaware of this of course, but I think if all
>> the choices were well defined and described most rational people would
>> identify with platonism and finite mechanism.)
>>

>>  "Something exists everywhere and everything"?   I don't understand what
>> is being asserted.  Is it a mere tautology?
>>

> All that we see ultimately is part of the same infinite object.
>

> Only if "object" is defined as all that exists anywhere - in which case it
> is reduced to a tautology.
>

>>   Science isn't about justifying theories.  It's about creating models
>> that have predictive and explanatory power.
>>

> I agree, science is about explanations.
>

>>  To ask what concept is scientifically justified is to misconceive the
>> enterprise.  Some theories are better supported by evidence than others.
>> Some are contradicted by evidence.  That's all.
>>

> That everything exists isn't contradicted by any evidence.
>

> But it isn't supported by any either.

We've argued this before.  I gave several pieces of evidence which support
the idea.

Jason