On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 4:32 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:

>>> Hence you could take the existence of people in the USA who
>>> "believe in an immaterial spirit, distinct from brain processes"
>>> positively. After all, they are working hard and contribute to
>>> prosperity.
>>>
>>> In any case, I do not think that the ideology should affect
>>> reasoning.
>>
>> It does affect reasoning, that's the problem. A religious person
>> usually can't say what evidence would make them change their
>> religious views, because they are views they hold without evidence.
>>

> A dialog from lectures of Prof Hoenen:
>
> A physicist comes to a theologian: "You know, I have checked everything from
> an elementary particle to the Universe. God does not exist, as I have not
> found him."
>
> A theologian: "You have done your job well. I would be really surprised if
> you could find the God."

Insofar as religion makes no predictions about the world it cannot be
proved or disproved. But when it does make predictions, for example
that the Earth is 6000 years old, usually believers cannot say what
evidence they would accept that this belief of theirs is wrong.

> Do not also forget what what Bruno says about theology. I personally agree
> with him because as long as we leave the empirical basis, we start using our
> beliefs.
>
> Finally imagine that you are a boss of a company. Could you be successful if
> you believe that everything is determined by the initial conditions of the
> Universe?

Yes, of course, it shouldn't influence your decisions at all.

--
Stathis Papaioannou