On 04.09.2011 17:30 Stathis Papaioannou said the following:

On 04/09/2011, at 11:25 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi<use...@rudnyi.ru>  wrote:

If that's what you're trying you're giving aid and comfort to
the enemy. Every religious fundamentalist in America hates
materialism and believes in an immaterial spirit, distinct from
brain processes, which is responsible for our thoughts and
actions.

You know, I was raised in the USSR where the official religion was
atheism and materialism. The results were disastrous.

Hence you could take the existence of people in the USA who
"believe in an immaterial spirit, distinct from brain processes"
positively. After all, they are working hard and contribute to
prosperity.

In any case, I do not think that the ideology should affect
reasoning.

It does affect reasoning, that's the problem. A religious person
usually can't say what evidence would make them change their
religious views, because they are views they hold without evidence.

A dialog from lectures of Prof Hoenen:

A physicist comes to a theologian: "You know, I have checked everything from an elementary particle to the Universe. God does not exist, as I have not found him."

A theologian: "You have done your job well. I would be really surprised if you could find the God."

Do not also forget what what Bruno says about theology. I personally agree with him because as long as we leave the empirical basis, we start using our beliefs.

Finally imagine that you are a boss of a company. Could you be successful if you believe that everything is determined by the initial conditions of the Universe?

Evgenii