On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:

> On 04.09.2011 07:51 meekerdb said the following:

>  If that's what you're trying you're giving aid and comfort to the
>> enemy. Every religious fundamentalist in America hates materialism
>> and believes in an immaterial spirit, distinct from brain processes,
>> which is responsible for our thoughts and actions.
>>

> You know, I was raised in the USSR where the official religion was atheism
> and materialism. The results were disastrous.
>
> Hence you could take the existence of people in the USA who "believe in an
> immaterial spirit, distinct from brain processes" positively. After all,
> they are working hard and contribute to prosperity.
>
> In any case, I do not think that the ideology should affect reasoning.

Evgenii,

The kind of atheism and materialism which stood as the official religion of
the Soviet Union, and that held by most atheists today is naive.  The
leading scientific explanations for conscious are mechanistic, but taken to
its logical end mechanism leads to remarkable conclusions: consciousness is
not attached to the body, it survives death of the body, it continues
forever, it may be reincarnated into different forms, it may switch between
realms.  In this respect, science leads directly to something very much like
a soul.

Similarly, the materialist effort to explain the existence of this universe
without invoking God ends up pointing to the existence of something that has
no cause, exists timelessly, contains infinite variation (perhaps everything
possible), may be identical to the sum of all truth, is everywhere and
everything.  While not every scientist or person on this list agrees with
this, it is the conclusion of any rational effort to explain the fine tuning
of this universe.

Beware of those materialists who say all we can see is all that there is.

Jason