On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2011, at 04:42, Pierz wrote:
>
>  - it's not well explained in the paper
>> yet contains the all the really sweeping and startling assertions.
>>

> When I presented UDA at the ASSC meeting of 1995 (I think) a "famous"
> philosopher of mind left the room at step 3 (the duplication step). He
> pretended that we feel to be at both places at once after a self-duplication
> experience. It was the first time someone told me this. I don't know if he
> was sincere. It looks some people want to believe UDA wrong, and are able to
> dismiss any step.

Was this Chalmers?  You mentioned to me at one point that he believed a
duplicated person experiences both perspectives.  This is a view I can
sympathize with, in the sense that we are part of a universal person who
experiences all perspectives.  A person who steps into a duplicator does
experience both Washington and Moscow, but at either position, does not have
the memories of the other, and thus so cannot talk about those experiences.
It is similar to a person who is tortured, then given a drug to cause total
amnesia.  Is it not the same person who experienced being tortured?

Jason