On 12/11/2011 8:33 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 11 Dec 2011, at 07:13, meekerdb wrote:

On 12/10/2011 3:50 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Some say that the interference of particles "with themselves" in the two-slit experiment is amble evidence for these, but MWI does nothing to explain why we observe the particular universe that we do.

Comp explains this completely, by explaining why you cannot understand that you are the one ending in Washington instead as the one ending in Moscow. It explains contingencies by consistent extensions.

But then starting from Philadelphia instead of Brussels "you" should end up in Washington - since it is much more similar to Philadelphia.

That might indeed be the case if my consciousness supervene on a generalized brain including a city, which get an internal role in the computation leading to your state. But in that case you have to ask the doctor to do the awkward substitution at *that* level.

Yes, that goes back to my concern that the "right level" may include a large part of the universe. Which is also related to the 323 argument. Quantum mechanics would say that we (our brains) are extensively entangled with the rest of the universe and, as Russell puts it, the 323 register may be active in the other Everett branches. The idea of substituting a mechanism for part (or all) of ones brain is only plausible because we live in an quasi-classical world

In the W and M duplication experience, we assume that the brain is the usual biological one in the skull. All what will matter in the probabilities is the distinguishibility of the self-localization outcome after the duplication. IN QM terms, seeing Brussels, Washington, and Philadelphia are orthogonal state, and not part of the brain, or of the computation leading to the state before the multiplication.

I don't know what you mean by "seeing is not part of the brain". Seeing different things presumably correspond to orthogonal states of the brain.

Of course Philadelphia is just an example. I could choose even closer continuations. Suppose you are just reconstituted in Brussels, where you started, as well as Moscow. Does this mean "your" consciousness remains in Brussels while in Moscow there is not-Bruno?

In front of the (concrete or not) UD, your consciousness will do the selection at the right level. (Again like in the Quantum MW).

There is no selection in MWI - everything happens.