On Jan 3, 10:23 am, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 1, 2012  Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The effect isn't limited to human beings or facial cues though. Taxidermy
> > and wax museums elicit the same response."
>
> The creepy thing about wax museums is that the lifelike 3D depictions of
> apparently healthy people don't move.

Yes, not moving is one of the signs of being dead. I think that's what
makes it creepy.

> > > It's a second level of deception which perceives a hint of an unholy
> > motive that defiles the sanctity of living flesh.
>
> It's a curious fact that never in my life have I seen the word "sanctity"
> used in defense of anything I agreed with, perhaps there is a way it could
> be but I just haven't seen it; "unholy" isn't one of my favorite words
> either, I don't think I've ever used it.

These kinds of words evoke a pre-scientific worldview. I am not
suggesting that they accurately refer to the reality of corporeal
existence, I'm showing how these themes arise subconsciously and have
been defined in the past in religious terms.

> > The creepiness of HAL arises not from carnal blasphemy, but
>
> And I could say the same thing about the word "blasphemy", I have used it
> but only as a joke.

Yes, I'm using these terms intentionally. These are the folk judgments
transmitted to modern culture through inherited mythology. I'm talking
about irrational fears which are nonetheless psychologically potent
and revealing.

> > > This is invariably interpreted to mean the loss of soul, damnation,
> > black magic, Satan, Frankenstein etc.
>
> In other words this interpretation is pure superstitious baloney.

Superstitious yes, but that's irrelevant. I'm talking about super-
signifying associations - sensorimotive themes which are amplified
through fictional hyper-presentation. People feel that zombies are
scary for a reason - not a rational, empirically valid reason, but a
reason worth understanding nonetheless.

> > Remember the imposter android crew member in the movie Alien?
>
> Hey I liked that movie a lot too, I even bought the DVD; but do you
> "really" expect to gain deep philosophical insights from Hollywood?

I can gain deep philosophical insights from anything. If you can't
gain them from Hollywood, you have no business bothering with
philosophy.

Craig