On 14 Jan 2012, at 18:51, David Nyman wrote:

On 14 January 2012 16:50, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net> wrote:

The problem is that mathematics cannot represent matter other than by
invariance with respect to time, etc. absent an interpreter.

Sure, but do you mean to say that the interpreter must be physical?  I
don't see why.  And yet, as you say, the need for interpretation is
unavoidable.  Now, my understanding of Bruno, after some fairly close
questioning (which may still leave me confused, of course) is that the
elements of his arithmetical ontology are strictly limited to numbers
(or their equivalent) + addition and multiplication.  This emerged
during discussion of macroscopic compositional principles implicit in
the interpretation of micro-physical schemas; principles which are
rarely understood as being epistemological in nature.  Hence, strictly
speaking, even the ascription of the notion of computation to
arrangements of these bare arithmetical elements assumes further
compositional principles and therefore appeals to some supplementary
epistemological "interpretation".

In other words, any bare ontological schema, uninterpreted, is unable,
from its own unsupplemented resources, to actualise whatever
higher-level emergents may be implicit within it.  But what else could
deliver that interpretation/actualisation?  What could embody the
collapse of ontology and epistemology into a single actuality?  Could
it be that interpretation is finally revealed only in the "conscious
merger" of these two polarities?

Actually you can define computation, even universal machine, by using only addition and multiplication. So universal machine exists in elementary arithmetic in the same sense as in the existence of prime number. All the "Bp " and "Dp" are pure arithmetical sentences. What cannot be defined is Bp & p, and we need to go out of the mind of the machine, and out of arithmetic, to provide the meaning, and machines can do that too. So, in arithmetic, you can find true statement about machine going outside of arithmetic. It is here that we have to be careful of not doing Searle's error of confusing levels, and that's why the epistemology internal in arithmetic can be bigger than arithmetic. Arithmetic itself does not "believe" in that epistemology, but it believes in numbers believing in them. Whatever you believe in will not been automatically believed by God, but God will always believe that you do believe in them.

Bruno

David

Hi Bruno,

You seem to not understand the role that the physical plays at all! This reminds me of an inversion of how most people cannot understand the way that math is "abstract" and have to work very hard to understand notions like "in
principle a coffee cup is the same as a doughnut".