On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 5:39 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

"   Consciousness theories are easy because there are no facts they need to
>> explain"

" What? With comp, not only you have to explain the qualia"

With ANY theory of consciousness you have to explain qualia, and every
consciousness theory does as well or as badly as any other in doing that.

> " but it has been proved that you have to explain the quanta as well,

I don't know what that means.

> " and this without assuming a physical reality."

 But I do know that assuming reality does not seem to be a totally
outrageous assumption.

> > but there is an astronomical number of things that need to be explained
> to understand how intelligence works.
>

> Not really. It is just that [...]

If you know how intelligence works you can make a super intelligent
computer right now and you're well on your way to becoming a trillionaire.
It seems to me that when discussing this very complex subject people use
the phrase "it's just" a bit too much.

"intelligent things organize themselves in non predictable way, at all. The
> basic are simple (addition and multiplication)"

That's like saying I know how to cure cancer, it's basically simple, "just"
arrange the atoms in cancer cells so that they are no longer cancerous.
It's easy to learn the fundamentals of Chess, the rules of the game, but
that does not mean you understand all the complexities and subtleties of it
and are now a grandmaster.

 John K Clark