On 1/26/2012 1:51 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
My chasing you with an ax would be no different than colon cancer or
>  >  heart disease chasing you. You would not project criminality on the cancer
>
>  Yes exactly, I want any cancer in my body to die and I want the guy
>  chasing me with a bloody ax to die, and I don't care one bit if either
>  of them is a criminal or had bad genes or had a bad childhood,
>  and I don't care if the cancer or the ax-man has free will or not
>  whatever the hell that term is supposed to mean.
Of course you would care. If cancer had free will then you could make
a deal with it. If people had no free will we would would not bother
with imprisonment, we would just exterminate them.

Imprisonment works because people are intelligent and can learn and act accordingly. "Free will" is irrelevant.