On Jan 26, 11:11 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> No they don't.  They reflect photons differently; which is why you could
> >> use the pattern
> >> to send a message.
> > True, although it's only relevant if you have photons to reflect. If I
> > turn out the lights (completely) does that change the entropy of the
> > red house? What if I turn the lights back on, has entropy been
> > suddenly reduced? Would a brighter light put more information or less
> > entropy onto the white house than the red house, ie, does the pattern
> > cost something in photons?
>
> Yes.

That doesn't make sense to me. I think if two houses had two different
patterns with the same numbers of each brick, neither one could
possibly have a different cost in photons than the other. In a house
of four bricks, Red Red White White cannot have a different photon
absorption than Red White White Red.

> > I'm just curious, not trying to argue with you about it. On a similar
> > note, I was wondering about heat loss in a vacuum today. With the
> > second law of thermodynamics, it seems like heat could only dissipate
> > by heating something else up. If there was nothing in the universe
> > except a blob of molten nickel, would it cool off over time in an
> > infinite vacuum? It seems like it wouldn't. It seems like you would
> > need some other matter at a different temperature to seek a common
> > equilibrium with. Or is the heat just lost over time no matter what?
>
> The heat would be lost by infrared radiation.

Lost to where? Energy is neither created nor...lost.

Craig