On 1/26/2012 5:03 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

I'm just curious, not trying to argue with you about it. On a
similar note, I was wondering about heat loss in a vacuum today.
With the second law of thermodynamics, it seems like heat could
only dissipate by heating something else up. If there was nothing
in the universe except a blob of molten nickel, would it cool off
over time in an infinite vacuum? It seems like it wouldn't. It
seems like you would need some other matter at a different
temperature to seek a common equilibrium with. Or is the heat just
lost over time no matter what?

The heat would be lost by infrared radiation.

Brent,

if we consider a heated block in an infinite universe, then does its temperature go then to zero Kelvin?

Evgenii