On 1/27/2012 3:56 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Jan 26, 11:11 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:
On 1/26/2012 5:03 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

Ok, so how does it effect the entropy of the structures? The red
house, the white house, and the mixed house (even if an interesting
pattern is made in the bricks), all behave in a physically identical
way, do they not?
No they don't.  They reflect photons differently; which is why you could use
the pattern
to send a message.
True, although it's only relevant if you have photons to reflect. If I
turn out the lights (completely) does that change the entropy of the
red house? What if I turn the lights back on, has entropy been
suddenly reduced? Would a brighter light put more information or less
entropy onto the white house than the red house, ie, does the pattern
cost something in photons?
Yes.
That doesn't make sense to me. I think if two houses had two different
patterns with the same numbers of each brick, neither one could
possibly have a different cost in photons than the other. In a house
of four bricks, Red Red White White cannot have a different photon
absorption than Red White White Red.

I'm just curious, not trying to argue with you about it. On a similar
note, I was wondering about heat loss in a vacuum today. With the
second law of thermodynamics, it seems like heat could only dissipate
by heating something else up. If there was nothing in the universe
except a blob of molten nickel, would it cool off over time in an
infinite vacuum? It seems like it wouldn't. It seems like you would
need some other matter at a different temperature to seek a common
equilibrium with. Or is the heat just lost over time no matter what?
The heat would be lost by infrared radiation.
Lost to where? Energy is neither created nor...lost.

The reason I seldom respond to your posts is that you seem unwilling to put any effort into understanding what is written to you.

Lost to the photons.