On 30 Jan 2012, at 19:13, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/30/2012 9:47 AM, John Clark wrote:

> I just understand that intelligence is an evolution of emotion,

There is simply no logical way that could be true. However important it may be to us Evolution can not see emotion or consciousness, Evolution can only see actions, so either emotion and consciousness are a byproduct of intelligence or emotion and consciousness do not exist. Perhaps you will insist that emotion and consciousness will join the very long list of things that you say do not exist (bits electrons information logic etc) but I am of the opinion that consciousness and emotion do in fact exist.

Of course evolution can't 'see' intelligence either. As you say selection can only be based on action. But action takes emotion, in the general sense of desiring one thing (food, sex,...) and disliking another (pain, being eaten,...). So I'd say emotion, knowing what you value, is as important as intelligence, knowing how to get it.

I can agree more :)

Reason is the servant of the heart.
I think. Arguably in machines' theology. With reasonable definitions.

We are more defined by our value, than by our flesh. I think (that's a bit obvious in comp).