On 1/30/2012 10:27 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012  meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
<mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    > Of course evolution can't 'see' intelligence either.  As you say
selection can
    only be based on action.  But action takes emotion

OK I have no problem with that, but then Deep Blue had emotions way back in 1996

Sure it did. If it had been equipped to express them they would have been something like, "This position feels good." "That position feels weak." etc. Not much range...but emotions nevertheless.

Brent

when it beat the best human Chess player in the world because in the course of that game Deep Blue performed actions, very intelligent actions in fact. As I've said many times emotion is easy but intelligence is hard.

 John K Clark