On Tue, Feb 7, 2012  Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are proving that a computer in the position of the man has no
> understanding then this thought experiment proves it.

How in hell would putting a computer in the position of the man prove
anything?? The man is just a very very very small part of the Chinese Room,
all Searle proved is that a tiny part of a system does not have all the
properties the entire system has. Well duh, the neurotransmitter
acetylcholine is part of the human brain and would not work without it, but
acetylcholine does not have all the properties that the entire human brain
has either.

> It takes consciousness for granted, like some free floating glow.

Oh now I see the light, literally, consciousness is like some free floating
glow! Now I understand everything!

> If I understand how to cook and then I walk into a building, does the
> building, now that it includes me, now know how to cook?

If you didn't know how to cook, if you didn't even know how to boil water
but the building was now employed at 4 star restaurants preparing delicious
meals then certainly the building knows how to cook, and you must be a very
small cog in that operation.

> Searle is assuming the common sense of the audience to show them that
> having a conversation in a language you don't understand cannot constitute
> understanding

I am having a conversation right now and acetylcholine is in your brain but
acetylcholine does not understand English, so I am having a conversation in
English with somebody who does not understand English. Foolish reasoning is
it not.

> The organization of my kitchen sink does not change with the temperature
> of the water coming out of the faucet.

Glad to hear it, now I know who to ask when I need plumbing advice.

 John K Clark