On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

>> How in hell would putting a computer in the position of the man prove
>> anything??
>>

> >Because that is the position a computer is in when it runs a program
> based on user inputs and outputs. The man in the room is a CPU.

A CPU without a memory is not a brain or a computer it's just a CPU. The
man must be a infinitesimally small part of the entire Chinese room; think
about it, the man doesn't know a word of Chinese and yet when he is in that
room it can input questions in Chinese and output intelligent answers to
them also in Chinese, so the non-man parts of that room must be very
remarkable and unlike any room you or I have ever been in.

> He and the rule book are the only parts that are relevant to strong AI.

A rule book larger than the observable universe and a room that thinks a
billion trillion times slower than you or I think. Searle expects us to
throw logic to the wind and to think that even if the consciousness is
slowed down by that much the room in general can't be conscious because...
because.... just because. However Searle does not expect us to think it odd
that 3 pounds of grey goo in a bone vat can be conscious, that's different
because... because.... just because. Because of this I expect that Searle
is an idiot.

> >> The organization of my kitchen sink does not change with the
>>> temperature of the water coming out of the faucet.
>>>

>> Glad to hear it, now I know who to ask when I need plumbing advice.
>>

> Couldn't think of a legitimate counterpoint?

I didn't even try because I didn't want to inflect needless wear and tear
on my brain. The problem is I don't give a damn if the organization of my
kitchen sink changes with the temperature of the water coming out of the
faucet or not. I'm more interested in how the brain works than kitchen
sinks.

 John K Clark