On 2/16/2012 12:36 PM, Stephen P. King wrote:
On 2/16/2012 2:13 PM, meekerdb wrote:
On 2/16/2012 9:58 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:
Hi ACW,

There is a problem with this way of thinking in that it assumes that all of the properties of objects are inherent in the objects themselves and have no relation or dependence on anything else. This is is wrong. We know from our study of QM and the experiments that have been done, that the properties of objects are definite because of interdependence and interconnections (via entanglement) between all things within our event horizon. You seem to be laboring under the classical Newtonian view. To have a consistent and real idea of teleportation one has to consider, for example, the requirements of quantum teleportation <http://www.tech-faq.com/quantum-teleportation.html>. It is things like that that are preventing COMP from being a realistic explanatory theory. :-( I like COMP and UDA because I see them as ideas that have errors can be corrected. This is not to say that my own ideas are not error filled! We are all, including me, finite and fallible.

Onward!

Stephen

That's essentially just saying 'No' to the doctor. Since the doctor can only substitute stuff that is functionally equivalent at a classical level you won't say 'Yes' if you think the quantum entangled states of the stuff he's replacing are essential. Note however that the replacement WILL have quantum entanglements; just not the same ones. So you might say 'Yes', accepting that your consciousness will be different in some way and yet still avoid being a p-zombie.

Brent
Hi Brent,

Please read what you just wrote and then what I wrote to ACW again and think about it. Is there a difference between theory - as in what we believe to be the case - and facts - that which *we* have no choice but to agree is true, in your mind?

Sure.  Theories are stories we invent to explain facts.

I am telling you that experiential evidence exists,

What is it?

and the mathematical theorems as well,

I'm aware of the QM no-cloning theorem, but it doesn't apply to classical teleportation. Lawrence Krause, in "The Physics of Star Trek", estimates that the energy required to determine the state of each atom in a human body is so enormous (like a supernova) that it could never be implemented. However, mapping the neural network of a brain is a far smaller problem.

Brent

that contradicts all this nonsense about classical teleportation and it is as if I am writing random strings of symbols. How about you do some research of your own and stop regurgitating other people's words?

Onward!

Stephen

No virus found in this message.