On 2/18/2012 2:36 PM, Richard Ruquist wrote:
It is with some trepidation that I enter into this discussion, but I would like to suggest that if MWI is true, where MWI is the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics, which is where every quantum state in every particle interaction is realized in one parallel world/universe or another, then there is no need for a god. Everything is deterministic and known ahead of time for all time.

However, if in a Single World Interpretation SWI, a single quantum state is selected in each particle interaction to become physical (based it seems on information), then there may be a need for some sort of consciousness to make that selection.

Just so it's made randomly in accordance with the Born rule.

If so then that consciousness controls every particle interaction and we may rightly call it god.

If you're really, really attached to those three letters. An attachment which only seems explicable if you want to drag in the baggage of all the despotic monomanical tyrants-in-the-sky that people have sacrificed to over the millenia (c.f. "Graveyard of the Gods" H.L. Mencken).

Note that SWI allows for free will and hence morality that MWI lacks.

Such "free will" should be observable as a violation of the Born rule somewhere
in brains.