On 3/11/2012 8:30 PM, acw wrote:
On 3/12/2012 00:39, meekerdb wrote:
This implies that our measure is strongly correlated with the regularity
of physics. I'm not sure you can show that, but if it's true it means
that physics is fundamental to our existence, even if physics can be
explained by the UD. Only worlds with extremely consistent physics can
support consciousness (which seems unlikely to me).
Maybe, it's more of a conjecture, I don't posses the theoretical tools to make some headway on the issue for now. As for physics being essential, I'm not 100% sure, it might be for us, humans with physical brains and bodies, but I don't see why it would be for a SIM, or for a detailed emulation of a human body/brain: consider the case of such a SIMs living in a VR(Virtual Reality) simulation - they wouldn't really care what the underlying substrate would be, but then, they would know they are in a simulation (to some degree). A more interesting question might be not about SIMs living in VRs, but those beings which live in a physical world and have bodies and are self-aware of those bodies and their own embedding in such a physical world - what possible statistically stable laws of physics would be required for such beings (I think Tegmark called them Self-Aware Substructures)? Since we know we're in such a situation, what laws of physics are possible that have conscious self-aware observers with 'physical' bodies?

Hi,

Could it be that we are tacitly assuming that our notion of Virtual is such that there always exists a standard what is the "Real" version? If it is not possible to tell if a given object of experience is real or virtual, why do we default to it being virtual, as if it was somehow possible to compare the object in question with an unassailably "real" version? As I see it, if we can somehow show that a given object of experience is the _best possible_ simulation (modulo available resources) then it is "real", as a better or "more real" simulation of it is impossible to generate. Our physical world is 'real' simply because there does not exist a better simulation of it.

Onward!

Stephen