On Apr 27, 10:11 am, 1Z <peterdjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 23, 3:49 pm, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 22, 10:57 am, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > If you're bloody-minded enough you can claim here isn't really an
> > > obvious connection between clouds and rain either.
>
> > Sure, it's a matter of degree. If I squeeze an orange, it follows very
> > logically that what comes out of it is orange juice.
>
> How logical is it that compressing a lump of coal produces a diamond?

It's aesthetically surprising, but not at all illogical. If it sang
Yankee Doodle Dandy, that would be illogical.

> How logical is it that liquid helium will try to escape a container?

Again, matter does all kinds of aesthetically surprising things, but
there is nothing ontologically challenging about matter taking up more
or less volume, changing states or colors, moving in certain ways,
etc. It's all well within the realm of 'things objects can do in
space'

> How logical is it that 14kg of Uranium 233 won't explode, but 16kg
> will?

Anything that explodes has a minimum threshold beyond which we would
not consider the reaction explosive. Fission is just a variation on
the same theme. Does Bugs Bunny come out of it? No.

> How logical is it that you can levitate a frog?
I can't levitate a frog.

Craig