On Apr 24, 6:19 pm, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is a standard use of language to say that people are responsible in
> varying degrees for their actions. I don't understand why you claim
> that your binary determinism is 'standard language' in some way. When
> we talk about someone being guilty of a crime, that quality of guilt
> makes no sense in terms of being passively caused or randomly
> uncaused

That's a rather shallow dismissal of compatibiism. We absolve
people of guilt if they are compelled by an agency, but causaiton
is not the same as compulsion. If someone weighs up options and makes
a bad choice, they have not been compelled and so are responsible
even if the process of choice was metaphysically deterministic.
Under determinism, it makes sense to punish a person in order to
modify
their behaviour.