On Apr 27, 10:00 am, 1Z <peterdjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> That's a rather shallow dismissal of compatibiism. We absolve
> people of guilt if they are compelled by an agency,

> but causaiton
> is not the same as compulsion.

Only if there is free will. Without free will, of course compulsion is
the same as causation.

> If someone weighs up options and makes
> a bad choice,

Then they are exercising free will.

> they have not been compelled and so are responsible
> even if the process of choice was metaphysically deterministic.

Black is white, even though it is black?

> Under determinism, it makes sense to punish a person in order to
> modify
> their behaviour.

Under determinism, it wouldn't matter how much sense it does or
doesn't make. Sense is only causally efficacious if we have the
freedom to choose what to do with our understanding. Without free
will, we would have no choice but to punish or not punish, just as the
criminal would have no choice but to commit or not commit crimes.

Craig