On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > You can choose to create a new reason and act based on that.

Certainly, and you created a new reason and acted on that for a reason OR
you did not, there is no third alternative.

>> You did X rather than Y because you preferred X, and you preferred X for
>> a reason OR  you preferred X for no reason, there is no third alternative.
> The third alternative is that you cause your own preference for X.

So your preference for X was caused by your preference for X.
Philosophically I'm afraid that is not very enlightening, Newton would not
be famous if all he had said was apples fall from trees because apples fall
from trees.

>you can actually determine your own preference in real time.

Yes in real time, that is to say you often don't know what you are going to
do until you do it, just as you often don't know what word you will say
next until you say it, and when you do say or do it you are often as
surprised as anyone at the result.

> We call it 'making up our minds'.

Yes, or you could call it "finishing a calculation", and you don't know
what the result of a calculation will be until you finish it.

>> but everybody agrees that a yellow traffic light is a traffic signal
>> that is yellow,
> If you are going to get technical, no, color blind people do not agree
> that it is yellow.

Being color blind does not make you stupid, they agree that a yellow
traffic light is a traffic light that is yellow, they also agree that a
klogknee light is a light that is klogknee even if they don't know what
klogknee is; they even agree that a klognee spifflow is a spifflow that is

  John K Clark