On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 1Z <peterdjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> how would the world be different if causes WERE reasons?
>>

> > if someone gets struck  by lightning, God really does hate them.

I pray to God you're joking.

> Reasons are aims and intentions in the minds of intelligent agents which
> explain and justify their actions. If you want to promote causes to
> reasons, you are going to need a lot more intelligent agents.

So the difference between intelligent agents and other complex things like
cells or computers or redwood trees or galaxies is that intelligent agents
do things because of reasons but other mechanical things do things because
of causes; and the difference between causes and reasons is that reasons do
things to intelligent agents but causes do things to other mechanical
things. And around and around we go and where we stop nobody knows.

And when you say "the reason the street's wet is that it's raining" you are
implying that asphalt is an intelligent agent.

 John K Clark