On Fri, Jun 22, 2012  Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net> wrote:

> > This quantization of time is easily seen as problematic when we consider
> that SR tells us that any granulation of time is equivalent to a grnulation
> of space which has observable effect.

All physicists agree that neither Special Relativity nor General Relativity
can be the last word on the subject because neither theory takes Quantum
Mechanics into account, and even the laws of mathematics agree that
Relativity theories can not be valid at the singularity at the center of a
Black Hole because at that point you'd have infinite density and infinite
curvature of spacetime yielding nonsensical results for any calculations
made there. By the way, before 1900 calculations about the way hot objects
give off light yielded the same sort of nonsensical results, Planck solved
the problem by introducing the idea that energy was not continuous but
existed as a series of small jumps, perhaps calculations about the
singularity can make sense if another quantity is quantized, like time or
space or both.

Relativity works well for things that are very large and very massive and
Quantum Mechanics works well for things that are very small and very light,
but to understand what happens when things are very small and very massive,
like a Black Hole singularity, we need a quantum theory of gravity and we
don't have one.

> Basically it predicts violations of Lorentz invariance by ultra high
> energy photons. So far observations have not shown any violations, even in
> very high gamma rays from GRBs. see: : http://arxiv.org/abs/0909.4927

I know, that's why I didn't say there was no experimental evidence, I said
"there is little or no experimental evidence"; that report is almost 3
years old (a eon for science) and since then there has been little or no
confirmation or follow through.

   >  Ordered collections alone do not have transitions.

They have discontinuous jumps, but they would look just like smooth
transitions to you if they were small enough and stuff at the Planck level
is very very small indeed. But maybe time is continuous after all, but then
again maybe not.

  John K Clark