On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 01:29:31PM -0700, meekerdb wrote:
> On 6/24/2012 10:06 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
> >And then if I luckily succeed in computing the electron mass
> >9.10938291×10^-31 kg,  Brent will tell me that we already knew
> >that, and ask for something else.
>
> Well if you do it by luck...  But of course I'd be very impressed if
> you could calculate it just from comp+arithmetic.  But I'd be less
> impressed if you just showed that it must be one of all possible
> numbers.
>
> More realistically, shouldn't comp+arithmetic be able to make some
> basic predictions like: QM must be based on complex Hilbert spaces
> (not real, quateronic or octonic).

I do think this is a very interesting question. I do have a good
reason for supposing it is must be complex, not real, but then it
fails to say why it shouldn't be quarternionic in preference to complex.

The trouble is it is so difficult to work out what a quarternionic QM
would really mean.

> Or the level at which spacetime
> is discrete (if it is).

Spacetime must emerge from relationships between events. The set of
events must be countable, but the relationships between them is a power
set of this, which is uncountable.

This would imply continuity of spacetime, I think.

This is a flipside of Bruno's argument that COMP entails physics (ie
phenomenal physics) is not computable.