On 7/2/2012 12:08 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 7/2/2012 11:21 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

    On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:12 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

        On 7/2/2012 7:36 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

            Do you really not see any difference between tables and chairs and
people
            and numbers,

        Chairs and people are also mathematical objects, just really complex
ones with
        a large information content.  This is the necessary conclusion of
anyone who
        believes physical laws are mathematical.

        No, it's a necessary conclusion of anyone who cannot distinguish a
description
        from the thing described.

    I think the identity of indiscernibles applies: If no distinction can ever
be made
    (by observers within a mathematical universe and observers within a physical
    universe) then there is no distinction.  You are using "physical" as an
honorific,
    but it adds no information.

    I can point to a chair and say "This!"

Yes, but how do you know you are pointing to a "physical chair", rather than a "mathematical chair"?

I know I'm pointing at a chair. I don't know what at 'mathematical chair' is. Can you point out how it is different from a chair?

Also, the "point test" fails to work for past or future times, different branches of the wave function, etc.

But it's fundamental. All the others depend on it through physical links.