To summarize our conversation up to this point:

BM: Do you really not see any difference between tables and chairs and
people and numbers,
JR: Chairs and people are also mathematical objects, just really complex
ones with a large information content.  This is the necessary conclusion of
anyone who believes physical laws are mathematical.
BM: No, it's a necessary conclusion of anyone who cannot distinguish a
description from the thing described.
JR: I think the identity of indiscernibles applies: If no distinction can
ever be made (by observers within a mathematical universe and observers
within a physical universe) then there is no distinction.  You are using
"physical" as an honorific, but it adds no information.
BM: I can point to a chair and say "This!"
JR: Yes, but how do you know you are pointing to a "physical chair", rather
than a "mathematical chair"?
BM: I know I'm pointing at a chair.  I don't know what at 'mathematical
chair' is. Can you point out how it is different from a chair?

I think we both agree that if the universe follows mathematical laws, then
observers can make no distinction between whether they exist in a
platonically existing mathematical object, or a physical universe.  If you
agree with this, then there is no fundamental ontological difference
between chairs, people, and numbers, that I can see.

Facing the question: is the universe a mathematical object, or a physical
one, we must evaluate the two candidate theories as we would any other.
 Does one theory explain more, does one make fewer assumptions, etc.  The
existence of the physical universe does not explain the existence of
mathematical objects, but the converse is true.  If we have to explain the
existence of both: mathematical objects, and the physical universe, the
simpler theory is that mathematical objects exist, as it also explains
the appearance of the physical world.  If one accepts mathematical realism,
then postulate the physical world as some other kind of thing, in addition
to its mathematical incarnation, is pure redundancy.

Jason