On 02 Jul 2012, at 21:01, meekerdb wrote:

On 7/2/2012 11:21 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:12 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
On 7/2/2012 7:36 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

Do you really not see any difference between tables and chairs and people and numbers,

Chairs and people are also mathematical objects, just really complex ones with a large information content. This is the necessary conclusion of anyone who believes physical laws are mathematical.

No, it's a necessary conclusion of anyone who cannot distinguish a description from the thing described.

I think the identity of indiscernibles applies: If no distinction can ever be made (by observers within a mathematical universe and observers within a physical universe) then there is no distinction. You are using "physical" as an honorific, but it adds no information.

I can point to a chair and say "This!"

This proves that relatively to you some token are selected. This happens provably so in arithmetic (in comp) and so cannot be an argument to distinguish physical and mathematical.

The fact is that we have no evidence for something primitively physical, and we already know that it does not exist (in any genuine sense) in the comp theory of mind/matter.