On 7/11/2012 7:41 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:

2012/7/10 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>

Why would you not expect a theory-of-everything to include the behavior of people? Note that 'govern' does not imply 'predictable'.

A phisicinst theory of everithing , despite the popular belief, does not "govern" the behaviour of the people. No longer than the binary logic govern the behaviour of computer programs. I can program in binary logic whatever I want without limitations. the wetware whose activity produces the human mind could execute potentially any kind of behaviour. Our behaviour is not governed by anything related wth a phisical TOE, but by the laws of natural selection applied to social beings. I can observe the evolution of such behaviours (in a shchematic way) in a binary world within a computer program as well. Robert Axelrod <http://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CEoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FEvolution_of_cooperation&ei=jTj9T77NB6iy0QXah8mmBw&usg=AFQjCNGua7j080q_oP5ft9ABtXu7bG99dg&sig2=KKUr0FxQezNKKU0MNCQ1vw>dit it for the first time.

On the contrary, the antrophic principle tell you that is the mind the determinant element for the existence of a TOE. A phisical TOE It is just the playing field and the stuff upon things are made.

Dear Albert,

Interesting that you bring up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_cooperation ! Could you elaborate a bit on your thoughts? Do you have any ideas how to model cooperation between computer programs? The main problem that I have found is in defining the interface between computations. How does one define "identity" for a given computation such that it is distinguished from all others?

Cooperation implies some common goal. In general the only goal computer programs have are ones we specify - we don't really want programs that have their own goals. Military defense systems depend on multiple networked computers that cooperate in tracking, identifying, and destroying enemy missiles. These have 'identity' in the simple sense of spacetime locus: That one over there can be destroyed while this one over here isn't.

We have goals because we are evolved, social, sexually reproducing animals. Computers could be like that but then they wouldn't be running *our* programs; they'd be cooperating to achieve their own survival and reproduction.