On 12 Jul 2012, at 11:25, meekerdb wrote:

On 7/12/2012 1:08 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:


On 11 Jul 2012, at 23:39, meekerdb wrote:

On 7/11/2012 10:36 AM, John Clark wrote:



On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:

> In Germany theology still belongs to universities. What I like is that you will find as a department of theoretical theology as well as a department of practical theology.

I disagree, I don't like it. You are assuming that there exists a organized field of knowledge called "theology", but I can not find the slightest evidence that is in fact true. Lawrence Krauss said that it is his habit to ask every theologian he meets "what advances in theology have been made in the last 400 years?", but he has never received a straight answer from a single one of them, the best he has gotten was "what do you mean by advances?". A expert in mathematics or physics or biology or literature or ANY other field would not give a weasel answer like that, they'd just rattle off a list of advances, but not theology. He also said he was on a panel at a college and somebody asked another scientist there why there is something rather than nothing and the scientist said "that's a question to ask the head of the theology department not me", but Krauss said "why ask him rather than the college gardener or plumber or cook?". I have no answer to Krauss's question because like him I think that where theology is concerned there is no expertise and no field.

  John K Clark

In fact one might say that IS the advance in theology over the last 400yrs: It has no subject matter. Of course Bruno wants "theology" to mean something different than any dictionary definition.

What is the difference?
Cf:    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theology

Where's the similarity?

Theology is the study of the truth about us and varied entities. It is concerned with possible deities, transcendental notions, wholeness, possible afterlife, immortality, soul, person, conscience, and the basic question like "who are we?", "what can we expect or hope, or fear?", "is reincarnation possible", etc. Historic theologies reflects humans prejudices, and some people in some tradition will disqualify some or other tradition, but all in all, theology is the science of the God(s) or what is supposed to be outside us and might justify our existence. Atheism can be seen as a theology, a bit like zero can be considered as a number. The proposition "God does not exist" is a theological proposition, for a logician. If not, we take the risk of confusing theology with some particular human theologies, but this concerns more history than science. And refusing to admit we do theology, when betting on some reality, makes often scientific statements (beliefs) into pseudo-theological statements (like if we knew the truth).

Bruno



Brent

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en .

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.

Reply via email to