On 12 Jul 2012, at 22:29, John Clark wrote:

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Then we should stop teaching Newtonian physics as well, since there are no new advances there either.

Not so. A hurricane simulation is pure Newtonian physics and yet they are far far better now, that is to say they give us better understanding of the storm, than they were 10 years ago or even 5. Theology on the other hand was no good for anything 400 years ago and it's no good for anything today.

> How about 'Anything that I deem unimportant should be eliminated.'? Do you detect any flaw in that reasoning?

No, if I feel something is unimportant I generally also feel it would be wiser not to do it and make better use of my time doing something else.

If you believe in physics you are physical-realist, but if you believe that physics is the fundamental science, then you are doing theology, and you are presenting a science as a theology without making that clear, which is exactly the error which has give theology its local bad name.
Or you are just not interested in fundamental questions.