On Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:29:46 PM UTC-4, John K Clark wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>
> > Then we should stop teaching Newtonian physics as well, since there are
>> no new advances there either.
>>

> Not so. A hurricane simulation is pure Newtonian physics and yet they are
> far far better now, that is to say they give us better understanding of the
> storm, than they were 10 years ago or even 5. Theology on the other hand
> was no good for anything 400 years ago and it's no good for anything today.

Hurricane simulations are improved because of improvements in computation,
not because Newton's physics have improved. Likewise, Newton's physics were
an improvement on his understandings of the Theology and Natural Philosophy
of his time. As people had use for Theology 400 years ago, so do they still
have even more use for it today as the increasingly interconnected world
requires more understanding of theological differences among cultures.

>> > How about 'Anything that I deem unimportant should be eliminated.'? Do
>> you detect any flaw in that reasoning?
>>

> No, if I feel something is unimportant I generally also feel it would be
> wiser not to do it and make better use of my time doing something else.
>
>   John K Clark

Of course, but do you see anything wrong with extending that wisdom about
your personal evaluations of what is important to the point of universal
law?

Craig