Dear John,

I too like Russell's idea and reasoning. I would only add that Physical phenomena is not derivable from single the first person accounts as there is no way to break the symmetry that this implies (this is the problem of solipsism!). We have to consider a large number of inter-communicating versions of first person accounts. This is so that the mutual non-contradictions can act as a sieve to partition out the commutative observables that the observers (plural!) that have those first person accounts have.