On 8/11/2012 11:28 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 12.08.2012 07:18 Russell Standish said the following:
On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 04:22:44PM +0200, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 11.08.2012 15:13 Stephen P. King said the following:
On 8/11/2012 4:30 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 10.08.2012 00:55 Russell Standish said the following:
The point being that life need not be intelligent. In fact 999.9% of
life (but whatever measure, numbers, biomass etc) is unintelligent.

The study of artificial life by the same reason need not be a
study of
artitificial intelligence, although because of a biases as an
intelligent species, a significantly higher fraction of alife
research
is about AI.

What does intelligence means in this context that life is
unintelligent? Let us compare for example a bacterium and a rock.
Where there is more intelligence?

Evgenii

Dear Evgenii,

     A bacterium and a rock should not be put head to (no)head in this
question. A bacterium has autonomy while a rock does not. It is better
to see that the rock is just a small piece of an autonomous whole and
then compare that whole to the (whole) bacterium.

My goal was just to try to understand what Russell meant by life is
unintelligent. Say let us take some creations of AI and compare them
with a bacterium. Where do we find more intelligence?

Evgenii

It seems like a nonsensical question to me. Neither rocks nor bacteria
are intelligent.

Okay. Let us take then a self-driving car. Is it intelligent?

One of the hallmarks of intelligence is learning from experience.  I
don't know whether self-driving cars, e.g as developed by Google, do
this or not.

Could you please take another example from AI, that learns from experience? Then it will be more clear what do you mean.

On learning from experience in cells, please see a paper

Epigenetic learning in non-neural organisms
http://blog.rudnyi.ru/2011/02/epigenetic-learning-in-non-neural-organisms.html

Hence you will find learning from experience in a cell indeed.

Evgenii