From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-12, 05:24:48
Subject: Re: Positivism and intelligence

On 11 Aug 2012, at 14:56, Roger wrote:

Positivism seems to rule out native intelligence.
I can't see how knowledge could be created on a blank
slate without intelligence.

OK. But with comp intelligence emerges from arithmetic, out of space and time.

Or for that matter, how the incredibly unnatural structure
of the carbon atom could have been created somehow
somewhere by mere chance.

Hmm... This can be explained by QM, which can be explained by comp and
arithmetic.

Fred Hoyle as I recall said
that it was very unlikely that it was created by chance.

All very unlikely things in my opinion show evidence of
intelligence. In order to extract energy from disorder
as life does shows that, like Maxwell's Demon,
some intelligence is required to sort things out.

Not sure what you mean by intelligence here.

Bruno

Roger , rclo...@verizon.net
8/11/2012