On 8/11/2012 5:56 AM, Roger wrote:
Positivism seems to rule out native intelligence.
I can't see how knowledge could be created on a blank
slate without intelligence.

Or for that matter, how the incredibly unnatural structure
of the carbon atom could have been created somehow
somewhere by mere chance.  Fred Hoyle as I recall said
that it was very unlikely that it was created by chance.
All very unlikely things in my opinion show evidence of
intelligence.

How likely is the shape of Japan?

In order to extract energy from disorder
as life does shows that, like Maxwell's Demon,
some intelligence is required to sort things out.

Life extracts energy by increasing disorder.