Stephan,

Well I agree the CYMs are a form of substance. But there are string
theories where the background spacetime is flexible, to use a common term.
So that is not a theory limitation.
The frozen block approximation allows for certain solutions that the
flexible spacetime inhibits.

I do think the CYMs are flexible since according to string theorists they
contain the the laws and constants of physics allowing for 10^500 different
universes. That should cover every possibility.
Richard