On 22 Aug 2012, at 08:31, Jason Resch wrote:

What in the theory suggests that landscapes are a problem? Is there any evidence in any theory that only one possible set of physical laws has to pervade all of existence, or is this just an unsupported preconception/hope of physicists who've spent a big chunk of their lives looking for a unique theory?

But that would be a problem for comp. Comp predicts, at first sight, that the physical reality is unique, and the same for all universal machine. If we find an empirical reason for believing in cluster of different physical realities comp might be in trouble. Physics is unique because, below our substitution level, it is somehow a sum on *all* computations, by the first person indeterminacy. It is weird, and this might point on some reason to believe comp false. With comp physics is determined entirely by arithmetic (or computationally equivalent).

To me, the effort of finding some mathematical explanation for why only one set of physical law can be is a lot like the Copenhagen theory's attempt to rescue a single history, despite that nothing in the theory or the math would suggest as much.

Not sure. Copenhagen and Bohm, try to select a model, or a solution of an equation among many. The selection is at the level of the model (in the logician sense), not of the theory. The theory QM might suggest that in showing the interferences of the solutions of the equations (through superposition), but the first person indeterminacy does not lead to much choice, in comp.

Bruno

Jason