On Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:19:32 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote:

> If morals didn't exist, why would we choose to invent them? What possible
> purpose could be served by some additional qualitative layer of experience
> on top of the perfectly efficient and simple execution of neurochemical
> scripts? Don't you see that the proposed usefulness of such a thing is only
> conceivable in hindsight - after the fact of its existence?
>

> We didn't invent them.  They evolved.  Evolution has no foresight, it's
> random.

Randomness is not omnipotence. It doesn't matter how many words I write
here, they will never evolve into something that writes by itself.

> It takes advantage of what is available.  Feeling sick at your stomach
> after eating rotten food is a good adaptation to teach you not eat stuff
> like that again.

No, it isn't a possible adaptation at all. There would not be any such
thing as 'feeling' or 'sick' - only memory locations and branching tree
algorithms. This is what I am saying, feeling makes no sense as a
possibility unless you are looking back on it in hindsight after the fact.
Sure, to you it seems like nausea is a good adaptation, but that's naive
realism. You assume nausea is possible because you have experienced it. You
would have to use evolution to explain the possibility of feeling in the
first place, and it cannot.

>   So what feeling would work to guide you not harm a child? - how about
> that 'sick at your stomach' feeling.

That implies that T-cells need a feeling to guide them not to kill friendly
cells. That H2O needs a feeling to guide it not to dissolve non-polar
molecules. If you believe in functionalism, then all feeling is a
metaphysical epiphenomenon. I think the opposite makes more sense -
everything is feeling, function is the result of sense, not the other way
around. T-cells do feel. Molecules do feel. How could it be any other way?

Craig