On 8/30/2012 2:19 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:47:19 PM UTC-4, Alberto G.Corona wrote:

    There is a human nature, and therefore a social nature with invariants.

     in computational terms, the human mind is a collection or hardwired
programs.

    codified by a developmental program, codified itself by a genetic program,
which
    incidentally is a 90% identical in all humans (this is an amazing
homogeneity for a
    single specie).

    These hardwired programs create behaviours in humans, that interact in a
social
    environment. By game theory, you can verify that there are Nash
equilibriums among
    these human players. These optimums of well being for all withing the
constraints of
    human nature called nash equilibriums are the moral code.

In general they are not Nash equilibra. Evolution doesn't settle on Nash equilibra because in many cases they are unstable for finitely repeated games, c.f. Ginitis "Bounds of Reason".

    These equilibriums are no sharp maximums, but vary slightly according with
the
    social coordinates. They are lines of surface maximums. These maximums are
know by
    our intuition because we have suffered social selection, so a knowledge of
them are
    intuitive.  That we have suffered social selection means that the groups of
hominids
    or the individual hominids whose conducts were away from the nash
equilibriums
    dissapeared.  To be near these equilibriums was an advantage so we have
these
    hardwired intuitions, that the greeks called Nous and the chistians call
soul.

That doesn't seem like something individual that will survive dissolution of
the body.

    What happens a broad variety of  moral behaviours are really the expression
of the
    same moral code operating in different circunstances where the optimum has
been
    displaced. There are very interesting studies, for example in foundational
book of
    evolutionary psychology "The adapted mind"

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adapted_Mind
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adapted_Mind>

    about in which circunstances a mother may abandon his newborn child in
extreme cases
    (In the study about pregnancy sickness). This would be at the extreme of
the social
    spectrum: In the contrary in a affluent society close to ours, the rules
are quite
    "normal". Both the normal behaviour or the extreme behaviour is created by
the same
    basic algoritm of individual/social optimization. No matter if we see this
from a
    dynamic way (contemplating the variations and extremes) or a static one
    contemplating a "normal" society, the moral is a unique, universal rule
system.
     Thanks to the research on evolution applied to huumans, computer science
and game
    theory, It is a rediscovered fact of human nature and his society, that
await  a
    development of evolutionary morals

I don't think biological evolution has been nearly fast enough to give us hardwired ethics suited to modern industrial nation states. That's why diverse cultures have evolved; Different ways of trying to satisfy the moral instincts that evolved for life in a small tribe. In theory the interaction of these cultures would eventually pick a winner (cultural selection), but in practice technology and other factors (e.g. global warming, oil depletion, war) may change things on a much shorter time scale.

Computational analogies can only provide us with a toy model of morality. Should I eat my children, or should I order a pizza? It depends on the anticipation of statistical probabilities, etc...no different than how the equilibrium of oxygen and CO2 in my blood determines whether I inhale or exhale.

It also depends on what you want. No decision problem can be solved with values. The values that evolved biologically are common and don't change very fast; so it's a good bet you love your children more than yourself.

This kind of modeling may indeed offer some predictive strategies and instrumental knowledge of morality, but if we had to build a person or a universe based on this description, what would we get? Where is the revulsion, disgust, and blame - the stigma and shaming...the deep and violent prejudices? Surely they are not found in the banal evils of game theory.

They're found in your the banal neurons of your brain, so they could be part of the morals of a robot if we chose to build it that way. From our perspective as citizens in a very diverse and interconnected world of billions of people, we can see ways in which we might give a robot better, more adaptive, values than biology has given us.