From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-30, 14:23:33
Subject: Re: No Chinese Room Necessary

On Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:01:45 PM UTC-4, Alberto G.Corona wrote:
I think that there are many tries to separate moral from ethics: indiividual
versus social, innate versus cultural, emotional versus rational etc.  The
whole point is to obviate the m*** world as much as we can, under the
impression that moral is subjective and not objetive, or more precisely that
there is no moral that can be objective.  An there is such crap as the
separation of facts and values (as if values (and in particular universal
values) where not social facts).

Well, this is a more effect of positivism which is deeply flawed in theoretical
and practical terms. It is a consequence also of  modern gnosticism,  called
progressivism of which positivism is one of the phases, that believes possible
in a certain future a society with a perfect harmony of individual desires and
social needs, making moral unnecessary.

I have never heard anyone who expresses progressive, liberal, or left wing
opinions state that they believe in a future society with a perfect anything or
that morals were unnecessary.

Craig