On 9/4/2012 11:17 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi Jason Resch
IMHO Not to disparage the superb work that computers can do,
but I think that it is a mistake to anthropo-morphise the computer.
It has no intelligence, no life, no awareness, there's
nothing magic about it. It's just a complex bunch of diodes and
transistors.

Hi Roger,

Please leave magic out of this, as "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke%27s_three_laws>". The trouble is that the stuff in our skulls does not appear to be that much different from a bunch of diodes and transistors.

Our brains obey the very same physical laws! What makes the brain special? I suspect that the brain uses quantum entanglement effects to both synchronize and update sense content in ways that cannot obtain from purely classical physical methods. Our mechanical machines lack the ability to report on their 1p content thus we are using their disability to argue against their possible abilities. A computer that could both generate an internal self-model and report on it would lead us to very different conclusions!

--
Onward!

Stephen