On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:06:06 PM UTC-4, Jason wrote:

>>     The point that I am making is that our brain seems to be continuously
>> generating a virtual reality model of the world that includes our body and
>> what we are conscious of is that model.
>>

> I like this description of a brain: that of a dreaming / reality creating
> machine.

What is it the brain creating this dream/reality out of? Non-reality?
Intangible mathematical essences? The problem with representational qualia
is that in order to represent something, there has to be something there to
begin with to represent. Why would the brain need to represent the data
that it already has to itself in some fictional layer of abstraction? Why
convert the quantitative data of the universe into made up qualities and
then hide that conversion process from itself?

>>  Does a "machine" made up of gears, springs and levers do this? Could one
>> made of diodes and transistors do it? Maybe...
>>

> No one has shown me a cogent argument that they could not.

They question isn't why they could, it is why they would. What possible
function would be served by a cuckoo clock having an experience of being a
flying turnip?

Craig