On 9/4/2012 8:39 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:06:06 PM UTC-4, Jason wrote:

            The point that I am making is that our brain seems to be
        continuously generating a virtual reality model of the world
        that includes our body and what we are conscious of is that model.

    I like this description of a brain: that of a dreaming / reality
    creating machine.

What is it the brain creating this dream/reality out of? Non-reality? Intangible mathematical essences? The problem with representational qualia is that in order to represent something, there has to be something there to begin with to represent. Why would the brain need to represent the data that it already has to itself in some fictional layer of abstraction? Why convert the quantitative data of the universe into made up qualities and then hide that conversion process from itself?

        Does a "machine" made up of gears, springs and levers do this?
        Could one made of diodes and transistors do it? Maybe...

    No one has shown me a cogent argument that they could not.

They question isn't why they could, it is why they would. What possible function would be served by a cuckoo clock having an experience of being a flying turnip?

Craig

Hi Craig,

The absence of Proof is not Proof of absence + If it is not impossible, it is is compulsory = Best assume that it can and does happen.

--
Onward!

Stephen