On 9/5/2012 2:20 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
Yeah, I don't know, any kind of universe-as-machine cosmology seems no better than a theological cosmology. What machine does the machine run on? What meta-arithmetic truths make arithmetic truths true?
Maybe it is the act of us being aware of them that collectively makes them true. Jaakko Hintikka has some ideas on that: http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=K7yJLmZCbFUC&oi=fnd&pg=PA415&ots=IXTvX1iloM&sig=OD5xNX3OZBcCWgiVjkVGPCX_11I#v=onepage&q&f=false

We just need to widely expand what the "we" is! Poor humans think that they are "it". What Hubris!