On 09 Sep 2012, at 19:12, Jason Resch wrote:

Hinduism: "By understanding the Self, all this universe is known." — Upanishads

Can hardly be more close to comp, where indeed physics is a branch of machine self-reference logic.

Yoga: "God dwells within you as you."

That is the eastern Inner God, or neoplatonist third God, and the notion of first person fits that role quite well, as I try to illustrate in the Plotinus paper.

Islam: "He who knows himself knows his lord." — Muhammad

Ditto.

Confucianism: "Heaven, earth and human are of one body."

Taoists are closer to the comp truth than Confucianists, who bring back the physicalism in the divine picture.

Zen Buddhism: "Look within, you are the Buddha."
Christianity: "The Kingdom of God is within you."

Hmm... The problem is that christianity has exiled or burn alive those who look too much in the internal kingdom, and they will insist that you confess to the local authorities. But Christianity is a human thing, and it has not completely kill its original spiritual motivation.

Mathematician like to generalize definition, making 0, 1, and 2 numbers, where the initial intuition of number was "numerous".

In a similar vein, it is all normal to provide a general definition of theology, as the search of the truth, including the irrational or unjustifiable (non provable) one, like "I am conscious", or "I will survive the Doctor technological reincarnation of me", or "I am consistent", or "there is something real", or "there is a primary physical universe", or "there is an afterlife", or "there is no afterlife", etc.

Then the math, or just logic, shows that machine's theology is closer to Platonism, mysticism and the eastern conception of God, than the Aristotelian physicalist one which bet that reality is wysiwig.

Since there are religions that adhere to ideas for God which I cannot reject, the only solution is to reject atheism, and declare what one does or does not believe in on a case by case basis. As I believe in Platonism, it is very difficult for me to find something I do not believe exists, in some sense, or somewhere, so where I draw the line is on things which are self-inconsistent. For example, am omniscient+omnipotent god, can it forget? If so is it still omniscient, if not is it still omnipotent? It is easy to show the inconsistency for some ideas of God, and thus reject them, but this is less easy for other notions of God.

And the same for Matter or any metaphysical notion. All concepts evolves when tackled scientifically. Only fundamentalists sticks on invariant definition.