Hi Roger,

Thank you for the link to Steve Wolfram's new book.
What he says in the first few pages is that his new science
does away with the need for an all-powerful supernatural being.

However, it does appear that his new science has application to
Leibniz's monads as well as the monads of string theory,
the Calabi-Yau (compact) Manifolds, CYMs.

While I have your attention I would like to mention
that the best argument IMO for the need of a god
is the Leibniz principle/assumption
that god creates the "best" universe.

In other words, god is needed to reduce the 3p in its quantum mind
to a single physical 1p by always choosing the "best" quantum state
from the number available in every single particle interaction in the universe.

However, this is not the conventional god who can do anything it wants.
In fact the choice of the "best" quantum state to be physical
might be handled by a simple algorithm.

But given the 'simple' nature of the monads
and Wolfram's science of complexity,
it seems that some sort of resulting cosmic consciousness
might be needed to implement even a simple algorithm.

I also thank you for giving me the opportunity to discuss CYMs on this list,
even though the CYMs are not simple, containing 500 or so topo holes
through which constraining flux is wound.
Assuming each flux has "n" possible quantum states
yields n^500 different possible monad configurations,
the so-called string landscape. (n=10 is usually assumed)

I also want to mention that Tipler's OMEGA concept applies here.
I presume that the quantum mind of god can instantly compute
the OMEGA point at the end of time (including the selection process
of always choosing the best possible single physical universe)-
which IMO amounts to the best possible OMEGA Point(OP).
With MWI there is likely to be an infinite number of OPs,
which to me seems undesirable and even unlikely.

However, in spite of 1p indeterminacy (ie., free will & morality),
where the actions of units of physical consciousnesses
necessitate continual recomputation of the OMEGA point,
I suspect that the laws of nature will maintain a rather fixed, single OP.

Instantaneous computation is consistent
with your (Roger's) concept of a timeless, unextended god.
But I believe the same can be achieved by
extended monads in an extended space
where each monad instantly maps
the entire universe to its interior.

Physical experiments with physical Bose-Einstein Condensates (BECs)
verify the property of instantaneity
(ie., the speed of light can have any value including infinity in a BEC),
but do not prove that it is done this way by god,
or in words I prefer, by the collective action of the BEC monads.

As Wolfram says, the collective action of simple elements
gives rise to the physical complexities
that many attribute to god.

Richard